Monday 5 November 2012


My Artist Statement for the 2 weekend event on 17th/18th and 24th/25th November 2012



Mandy Beall                           Visual Artist





















The Typewriter and The Ant 
Connected, lunging, kinetic limbs, 
Responsive to demand. 
Foot-falling remnant imprints. 
Industrial alliance,
Simplistic system, 
Competent outcome.             
                                                                                                                              MBeall, 2012.








I am interested in the translation of the things that I witness and experience. 
Each experience allows a variant. Allowing this variant to dictate the format into which the translation, the work, is to be processed and delivered is important to me. 
For this project, witnessing the woodland ant has provided the primary source to my work. The woodland ant under its own management and not man’s. My encounter and experience with the managed woodland over several visits has provided the secondary source. I present to you 
A COLONY OF WORDS. These words at one time had a clear meaning but now they are as the debris of the woodland, that the ants so credibly tidy away and use productively in the form of the anthill. They are seen by those that wish to observe and I invite you to assist in the tidying away. Nature may take control and wash the clay away, if not then please collect some words as you pass by. Discard them, hold on to them...you are under your own management.
For this current exhibition I have worked with collective data, text and clay. Previously I have worked in time-based media (video and photography), sculpture, installation and bookworks.

This is my debut exhibition following my recent success with 1st Class Honours on the Fine Art Degree at Plymouth University. 

My studio is currently based with KARST, Plymouth.         

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to tidying up the words -well done and wishing you every success for your exhibition x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Rosie! Hope to see you there....wrap up warm! x

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback...please go ahead!