Friday 2 November 2012

Reading 'On Longing, Narratives of the Miniature, the Gigantic, the Souvenir, the Collection' by Susan Stewart. 

Chapter 2 in particular, The Miniature.

The book sits before me, closed and unread; it is an object, a set of surfaces. But opened, it seems revealed; its physical aspects give way to abstraction and a nexus of new temporalities. This is the distinction between book and text which Derrida has described in Of Grammatology.

Stewart goes on to say.......the metaphors of the book are metaphors of containment, of exteriority and interiority, of surface and depth, of covering and exposure, of taking apart and putting together. Stewart, S (2007:37)

I'm interested in this. The way I am presenting the words, open and revealed, and randomly placed, no longer within my sketchbook. There is an added abstraction and a nexus of new temporalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback...please go ahead!